Over The Hill Cake Idea - Old Fart Cake
2 white cake mixes
2 containers whipped white frosting
Frosting bag or pre-loaded frosting writer
- Begin with two of your favorite white cake mixes, and the prescribed amount of eggs, oil, and water from the back of the box. [You could also use any cake recipe from the internet].
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees [very important!]. Grease a round” [or other round] pan. [I like to spring for the actual cake-release spray from the baking aisle, to make sure nothing ever sticks].
- Mix ingredients together, and pour into pan until about 2/3 full. Depending on the size of your cake pan, you may have extra batter. If you do – this is an excellent opportunity to make some bonus cupcakes, either to eat – or as a cool matching accompaniment to your finished cake display.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven. Cake should appear evenly golden on top [not glossy], and not “jiggle” at all when you open the oven door. If you’re still not sure, insert a toothpick gently into the center to make sure no wet batter sticks to it when you pull it out.
- Cool cake completely before inverting it onto a tray or cookie sheet. Tap the bottom gently until the cake plops out, then flip it once more onto the tray you want to display the cake on.
- Lay several round objects - such as small plates, cups, or bowls - on the top of the cake to make your fart cloud outline. Using a butter knife, trace the outline onto the top of your cake, and trim away to make your final shape - keeping the knife as straight as possible.
- Add two containers of your favorite brand of “whipped” white frosting to a bowl, reserving ½ cup for later decorating. [Whipped frosting spreads easier – which helps keep the crumbs from the edges we just cut from ending up all over your cake.] Stir green food coloring into the frosting, one drop at a time, until it’s the exact sickly fart color you desire.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape 2/3 of the frosting out of the bowl and onto the top of your cake, distributing it thickly across the top.
- Use the rubber spatula to gently cover the entire top over the cake with frosting, and push it over each edge. Then use a butter knife or metal frosting spatula to smooth the frosting evenly along the edges, being careful to keep the frosting thick and not touch the cake, as this will pull up crumbs.
- Once the cake is completely encased in a thick, fluffy shell of frosting, go back with a butter knife and add 3D swirls to it. [You should have more than enough frosting to create at least ½” of beautifully sculpted fart cloud].
- Add more green food coloring – a LOT more – to the remaining frosting, until it becomes much darker. [You can also add some black if you want to make it really dark.]
- Fill a frosting bag with the dark green frosting and write “Old Fart” across the top. Add some cartoon-style cloud-swirls for maximum effect.